Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The WonderPowder

During my trip up to NY, my Mom gave me a book called Baking Soda, Over 500 Uses You've Probably Never Thought of, by Vicky Lansky. I must say I was quite impressed and very strangely excited as I read it. (Yes I realize what a HUGE dork that makes me). Baking Soda is a natural product and does not polute or affect the environment at all. Anyhow, I suggest keeping a few boxes of Baking Soda in your home as it is extremely useful. Here are some of the Uses....

  1. On your counters, sprinkle some soda and a little lemon juice or vinegar and scrub them clean. The soda will remove tea bag , mustard or juice spill stains and deoderize at the same time
  2. Out of deoderant? Rub some baking soda under your arms as a back-up until you get some, the powder will absorb some moisture and deoderize.
  3. Unclog your drain by pouring 1 cup of soda down, then follow with 1 cup of hot vinegar.
  4. We all know a box of soda in your fridge eliminates odors.
  5. Make a paste of baking soda and water and spread over rusty appliances, nuts or bolts to remove the rust.
  6. Pre-treat laundry stains with a paste of soda and water.
  7. Remove build-up in your hair from sprays and concentrated shampoos by mixing 1 tsp soda with your shampoo in your hand and wash and condition as usual.
  8. Mix 1/2 tsp soda in a cup of water and rinse your mouth to eliminate onion and garlic smells.
  9. Whiten your teeth and remove stains with a mixture of 1/2 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp soda. Apply paste with a q-tip, brush teeth with water and rinse.
  10. Have heartburn? Mix 1/2 tsp of soda in 1/2 glass of water and drink. The soda works to neutralize the acidity in your stomach. **though medical precautions should be considered before taking any home remedy!!
  11. Treat symptoms of UTIs or Vaginitis by soaking in a bath with soda in it.
  12. Treat a stuff nose by mixing 1/4 tsp soda with 1 tbs of water and put a few drops in each nostril.
  13. Remove tape residue left on windows with a paste of baking soda and water.
Ok, those are a few of my favorites. Enjoy!

1 comments:

Amie said...

I put some in the bottom of the bucket that I put dirty diapers in......it helps with the odors. :)