Friday, March 14, 2008

It's Not Easy Seeing Green

St. Patricks dayis blown WAY out of proportion. I guess I just don't really get the whole....dress up in green and celebrate leprechauns thing, but today took the cake when I was running some errands on my lunch break and ran into.... a parade. What on earth? Since when do cities plan parades on a Friday when everyone is working and in school and for St. Patricks day of all things??

So.... I got dead-stopped in traffic on my way to pay my water bill because the beginning of the parade started down the street. I decided to stop for a cheeseburger drive-in after being re-routed because there was NO way I would have time to eat when I got back (which of course took longer than expected and gave me indigestion). Then after I paid the water bill I ran into the same float at the other end of downtown and had to sit and wait on it.... again.

Next I had to run to the bank to deposit my paycheck and what did I find? Well, not only tons of post-parade traffic but of course a train. St. Patricks day was not my day.....and technically I don't think today is St. Patricks day....isn't it on Monday? Well, Whatever. It was annoying, and I felt like sharing.

1 comments:

My name is Dianna said...

we are the crazies that love st. patricks day. it is a religious holiday honoring its' namesake and our school is out for it, weird huh. we were among the onlookers, too. the reason that it was celebrated yesterday instead of monday is b/c it's a feast day recognized by liturgical churches and this year it fell during holy week and the vatican didn't want a feast day to kick off a time of remembering the sorrow and passion of christ 'maundy thursday' and 'good friday'. i, too, know how an unexpected parade can be a huge hassle--nothing like burning gas going nowhere and the trains in downtown, though charming really get on my nerves. i hope the rest of your afternoon was good! see you today for your new 'induction/installation' into office...i am soo glad you are taking over in the toddler class! you have such great gifting and will do a great job!